Although both dentists and orthodontists are experienced oral health specialists, there are several factors that distinguish orthodontists that patients should know about!
There’s one thing that all dental professional share in common: they’re all very passionate about helping patients experience optimal oral health!
There are many different dental professionals that are specialists in specific types of oral health treatment, and a dentist is a professional that specializes in treating specific groups of dental conditions. On the other hand, orthodontists like Dr. Karpac are dental professionals that specialize in straightening crooked teeth and realigning an individual’s bite.
Below we’ll be going over some of the main differences between orthodontists and dentists that you should know about!
The Commonalities & Differences Between Dentists and Orthodontists
The first thing you should know about dentists and orthodontists is that both types of specialists graduated from dental school, which is where they learned about oral diseases and subsequent treatments, human anatomy and much more. General practitioners will many times go on to create their own private practice after dental school graduation, but specialists like orthodontists will be required to complete further education.
Below are some of the main differentiating factors between general dentists and orthodontists:
- Orthodontists undergo a minimum of two additional years of specialty training after completing dental school.
- Orthodontists have a much more thorough knowledge and understanding of how an individual’s bite should be aligned, which means they know precisely how someone’s lower and upper teeth should meet so that they experience optimal functionality.
- Orthodontists are specialists when it comes to facial and jaw anatomy, so they have a professional understanding in terms of how a patient’s bite works in correlation to the jaw bones and the entirety of their face.
- Orthodontists specialize in knowing exactly how to safely shift teeth to ultimately create a straight smile and ideal bite.
- Orthodontists are more capable of determining a patient’s best treatment options based upon their unique bite problems.
It’s also important for everyone to understand that some general dentists will offer certain types of orthodontic treatment, but that they do not have the same background as orthodontists in terms of education, training and overall experience. This is why parents and adult patients should always put their trust in experienced orthodontists like Dr. Karpac when it comes to re-correcting smile aesthetics and overall functionality!
Reach Out To JK Orthodontics To Learn More About Our Treatment Options!
Dr. James Karpac is an experienced orthodontist that has supported the Columbus Metro Area for over 30 years, and Dr. Karpac also is a Doctor of Dental Surgery. Dr. Karpac is Board Certified and is a Diplomate on the American Board of Orthodontics. He’s also a member of the American Association of Orthodontists, The American Dental Association, The Ohio Dental Association, The Great Lakes Association of Orthodontists and The Columbus Dental Society.
There is absolutely no denying Dr. Karpac’s credentials as an orthodontic treatment specialist and an industry leader throughout Central Ohio, and one thing that separates JK Orthodontics from other local practices is our patented invisible aligner technology called Line-M-Up™. So when you come to us for your orthodontic treatment services, you can be rest assured that you’re working with an innovative team that is always on the cutting edge of the industry!
Reach out to us online or call us at 614-766-0330 (Dublin office) or 614-471-6355 (Gahanna office) to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Karpac today!