Many adult patients are concerned that their braces treatment will take a long time to complete, so below we’re detailing the factors that contribute to treatment timelines!
Today’s orthodontic industry provides many technological advancements that allow for a patient of any age to feel confident in knowing that their treatment timeline will be as streamlined as possible. However, it’s true that adults will generally need to wear braces a bit longer than children and teenagers because adult teeth don’t shift quite as easily.
But you should also remember that it’s completely normal for an adult braces patient to undergo treatment for around a year and kids needing upwards of three years. So it goes to show that age is only one of many determining factors that establish how long any given patient’s treatment timeline will be.
Below we’ll be going over a handful of treatment timeline considerations that you should keep in mind when it comes to braces treatment from JK Orthodontics!
Factors That May Potentially Impact Your Braces Treatment Timeline
It’s understandable how prospective adult patients are curious about how long their treatment will take when they’re just beginning their initial consultations with Dr. Karpac, but the truth is that there isn’t a simple answer to this type of question.
This is because there are many different factors that come into play when determining a patient’s treatment timeline, including the following:
- Patient’s Age: As we’ve mentioned above, it’s true that your age will play a role in the overall length of your orthodontic treatment. Younger patients tend to have a distinct advantage due to their jaws and teeth still growing, which subsequently makes it easier to correct their teeth and jaw positioning via braces. But although it might take a bit more time and effort to correctly shift adult teeth, it most certainly can be done in an efficient manner!
- Patient’s Oral Health: Oral health problems like cavities and gum disease can make braces treatment a lot more difficult, which is why it’s generally recommended to address these problems before initiating your treatment process. When oral health issues develop during a patient’s treatment, it can potentially slow down their progress. This is exactly why it’s so incredibly important to maintain good oral hygiene routines during your orthodontic treatment no matter how old you are!
- The Degree of Malocclusions: Simple orthodontic cases will naturally take less time to correct as compared to more complex cases. This is why patients experiencing minor crowding can expect to have a shorter treatment timeline as compared to a patient experiencing large gaps between teeth, an overbite, or other similar concerns.
- The Chosen Type of Treatment: The vast majority of orthodontic treatment options are incredibly efficient, and at JK Orthodontics we provide traditional metal braces as well as our patented invisible aligner technology called Line-M-Up™. So you can feel rest assured that our team will match you with the treatment option that’s best for your unique needs!
- Patient Compliance Throughout Treatment: In order for you to complete your orthodontic treatment as quickly as possible, you’ll need to follow all the instructions that you receive from Dr. Karpac. This means properly flossing and brushing your teeth on a daily basis, and keeping up with your regularly scheduled appointments. Depending upon your treatment option, it’s also likely that you’ll need to watch what you eat throughout treatment as well. Athletes will also need to wear a mouthguard when they train or play in games in order to avoid any harmful impacts to your mouth and braces.
Schedule Your Initial Consultation With Dr. Karpac at our Gahanna & Dublin Offices Today!
JK Orthodontics is a leader throughout the Columbus Metro Area when it comes to adult orthodontic treatment, and we’ll be more than happy to support you through our comprehensive services no matter what your age is.
You can reach out to us online or speak with us directly at 614-766-0330 (Dublin office) or 614-471-6355 (Gahanna office) to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Karpac today!